Welcome to 'itsyour-site.blogspot.in'

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Sample HR Interview Questions part-5


68. Tell me how you handled an ethical dilemma.
Answer:“Suppose you worked at a bank and a long-time customer wanted a check cashed right away but didn’t have the fund balance in his account to cover the check, a€ Martinez says, explaining that if the bank’s policy prohibited cashing checks in that manner, the teller would have a choice of violating bank policy or alienating a good customer.
Martinez says the best way to handle such a situation would be to go to a supervisor, explain the situation, and ask for advice. He adds that students who can’t offer a situation that they handled correctly the first time can explain how they learned from making mistakes.
“Explain that the next time, this was how you handled it, a€ he says.
69. Tell me about the culture at your last company/employer.
Answer: If the past culture was good them explain how and why in terms that the interviewee is likely to identify with, for example:
''The culture encouraged people to develop, grow, take responsibility. People were coached and mentored towards quality and productive effort. All of this helped me a great deal because I identify with these values, and respond to these opportunities.''
A good answer, in referring to a non-supportive culture would be to express the positive aspects (eg lots of freedom for me to take initiative, responsibility, find new ways to contribute, a free market allowing the good workers to naturally excel and develop reputation and internal working relationships, etc.)
70. Tell me about your life at College or University (or even your time in your previous job).
Answer: The question is an opportunity for you to demonstrate the qualities that the interviewer is seeking in for the job, so orientate your answer towards these expectations (without distorting the truth obviously).
In your answer, emphasize the positive behavior, experience and achievements (ideally backed up with examples and evidence) which will impress the interviewer because of its relevance to the role requirements.
The interviewer is looking for the same capabilities and behavior in your college (or university or previous job) life that they want in the job.
Your emphasis should be on your achievements, and how you achieved them, that are relevant to the job requirements.
Interviewers with special interest in behavior and personality may also use a question like this to assess your self-awareness and maturity, in the way you consider your answer and 71. What did you achieve in your last job?
Answer: Prepare a number of relevant examples and explain one (two or three if they're punchy and going down well). Make sure you feature as the instigator, or the factor that made the difference. Examples must lead to significant organizational benefits; making money, saving money/time, improving quality, anticipating or creatively solving problems, winning/keeping customers, improving efficiency.
72. Give me some examples of how you have adapted your own communicating style to deal with different people and situations.
Answer: Prepare this as one of your strengths, as there's not a single job that won't benefit from good adaptive communication skills. Give examples of how you've been detailed and given written confirmation for people who need it. Give examples of how you verbally enthuse and inspire the people who respond to challenge and recognition. Think of other examples of adapting your style to suit the recipients. Give examples when you've had to be task-driven, process driven, people-driven, and how you change your style accordingly. A chance for you to truly shine.
73. What do you find difficult in work/life/relationships (etc)?
Answer: Pick a relatively irrelevant skill and say that you don't find it as easy as you'd like, so you're working on it (don't just make this up - think about it and be truthful). Don't own up to a weakness in an area that's important to the role. As with the weaknesses question, you can state certain difficulties because they are actually quite acceptable, even commendable, they'd include: suffering fools gladly, giving up an impossible task, tolerating unkind behavior like bullying, having to accept I can't help certain big problems in the world, etc.
74. How do you plan and organize your work?
Answer: Planning and writing a plan is very important. I think how best to do things before I do them, if it's unknown territory I'd take advice, learn from previous examples - why re-invent the wheel? I always priorities, I manage my time, and I understand the difference between urgent and important. For very complex projects I'd produce quite a detailed schedule and plan review stages. I even plan time-slots for activities that aren't in themselves organized, like thinking time, and being creative, solving problems, etc.
75. How many hours a week do you work/prefer to work?
Answer: It varies according to the situation. I plan and organize well, so unless there's a crisis or unusual demand I try to finish at a sensible time so as to have some time for my family/social life/outside interests. It's important to keep a good balance. I start earlier than most people - you can get a lot done before the phones start ringing. When the pressure's on though I'm happy to work as long as it takes to get the job done. It's not about the number of hours - it's the quality of the work that you do; how productive you are.
76. Do you make mistakes?
Answer: Be honest. Yes of course on occasions, but I obviously try not to, and I always try to correct them and learn from them.
77. (Follow above question with) - Can you share your mistakes with others?
Answer: Absolutely I can - I get the guidance I need, and it may help prevent others from making the same mistake.
78. How to do measure your own effectiveness?
Answer: By the results that I achieve and that I achieve them in the most positive way. If there isn't an existing measure of this I'll usually create one.
79. What personal goals do you have and how are you going about achieving them?
Answer: Prepare for this - be able to state your personal and career goals - keep them reasonable, achievable and balanced. Explain how you see the steps to reaching your aims. An important part of achieving progress is planning how to do it. Be able to demonstrate that you've thought and planned, but also show that you are flexible and adaptable, because it's impossible to predict the future - the important thing is to learn and develop, and take advantage of opportunities as they come along.
80. What makes you mad?
Answer: Nothing really makes me mad - it's not a good way to deal with anything. Certain things disappoint or upset me - rudeness, arrogance, spitefulness (pick any obvious nasty traits or behaviors, particularly behaviors that you believe your interviewer will personally dislike too.)
Relate it to your own experience and development81. What do you think of your last boss/employer?
Answer: Don’t be critical. If possible be generous with praise and say why, giving positive reasons. If there was a conflict don't lie, but describe fairly and objectively without pointing blame.
82. How would you react if I told you that your interview, so far, was terrible?
Answer: He is trying to find out how you react to criticism.
Well, I'd be quite surprised and rather sad. I have put a lot of work into preparing for this interview and getting this job is very important to me.
May I ask you, what parts of my presentation did you consider were not up to an acceptable standard? If you could pinpoint these areas to me, maybe I could go over them again and clear up any misunderstandings that might exist. I'm sure that's where the problem lies"
83. What influenced you to choose this career?
Answer: My past experiences have shown me that I enjoy facing and overcoming the challenge of making a sale. Without a doubt, once I have practiced my presentation and prepared myself for objections, I feel very confident approaching people I don't know and convincing them that they need my product. Lastly, I like sales because my potential for success is limited only by how much of myself I dedicate toward my goal. If any profession is founded on self-determinism, it surely must be sales.
84. Which is more important to you, the job itself or your salary?
Answer: A salary commensurate with my experience and skills is important, but it's only one piece of the package. Many other elements go into making up a compensation package, but more importantly, it's critical to me to enjoy what I'm doing, fit into the corporate culture, and feel I'm making a genuine contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment